Things I don’t miss……
November 12, 2012 in Uncategorized
I have gotten a new phone and it is not a BlackBerry. Never thought I’d utter those words but recently I’ve just gotten quite tired of it. The actual phone was getting old and having issues and BBM was just annoying me. So I got a new phone. Quite frankly I would have been happy with one of those ancient brick sized phones with the antennae that stuck out. Ok I’m joking it would never fit in my handbag. But you know what I mean.
So I let everyone know and put on a mock sad face that I would no longer be part of BBM. Truth be told I wanted to dance for joy at the thought of deleting some of the contacts. Obviously some I will miss but I’ll still see them. I’m getting a new phone, not moving to the moon.
Saturday morning dawned and I found that the first thing I did was have a cup of tea and relax. Not reach for my BB and see what everyone was up to, before moaning how tired I am of people’s bragging. I also didn’t miss the need I’d had before to update my status to something interesting (because say what you will, some days it was a little tiring listening to the endless boasting going on).
So these are the things I don’t miss about my old phone:
- The updates from people who are so in love with themselves, they update pictures of themselves throughout the day. Everyday. Yes I had a couple of those. Of course when you know people who think it is normal to include a personalised commentary in their milestone birthday presentation complete with every photo ever taken in the last three decades and a soundtrack to rival that of a two hour movie, you should know they have no low self esteem issues.
- The “I planned/hosted/attended a party” contact. From early on the Saturday you see the countdown to said party. Then party starts. Party is in full swing. Party ends and some strange drunken status is updated just before 2:00 a.m. The next day everyone at the party must be thanked numerous times and it is necessary to moan how tired you are. It is an optional extra to then include party pictures for the next four weeks. Note I said optional but these contacts will view this as mandatory.
- The endless birthday wisher. Seriously do some people literally know 365 people? Because every day there was a birthday shout out to someone. Family. Friends. Colleagues. Someone you saw at the mall five years ago. A pet. Even someone else’s pet. No-one was excluded and I mean no-one.
- The sulker. When you don’t comment and console and show you care that the sad face emoticon has been up for 20 minutes, you mysteriously get deleted as a contact. Then reinvited because the sulker feels bad a few days later. You might also get an apologetic ”it isn’t you, it is me” message. Sadly I’m not joking.
- The mysterious are they a contact or not? You get a message saying they are getting a new phone and IT IS NOT a Blackberry and they will no longer be available on BBM. Yes I got this message and a list of alternative ways to contact this friend. Waited to be deleted as a contact when I saw the status wasn’t updated in a week. Then got a chatty e-mail much later and at the bottom it read “sent via my BlackBerry…..” Had to laugh.
Yes I know you can switch the update function off and I did occasionally but then you’d have a mutual contact ask you if you’d heard what x was up to. And then you got frowned at for saying your update function wasn’t on. It seems like turning that function off is looked at in the same way as clipping your toenails in public - a social taboo.
So yes I’m over the drama and looking forward to my new phone. I have had a few queries from my contacts if I’m going to use Whatsapp but that is way less intrusive than BBM.